Are you tired of your action camera footage having poor audio quality? Maybe you’re struggling to capture clear sound in windy or noisy environments? If so, you’re not alone. Action cameras are notoriously known for having subpar built-in microphones that fail to capture high-quality audio. This is where action camera microphone attachments come in.
Action camera microphone attachments can significantly improve the audio quality of your action camera footage by capturing sound from a closer source. They can help reduce background noise and wind interference, allowing you to produce videos with clear and crisp audio.
Trying to figure out which action camera microphone attachments to purchase can be daunting due to the sheer abundance of options. To assist in your decision-making, we have created a list of the 15 best microphone attachments available. Perfect for vloggers, filmmakers, and those that like to capture thrilling moments, these attachments can transform the quality of your footage. Read on to discover which microphone attachments are worth the investment.
Why You Need an Action Camera Microphone Attachment
Action cameras have revolutionized the way we capture action-packed moments. From surfing and snowboarding to skydiving and mountain biking, these cameras have become essential for capturing thrilling experiences. However, the built-in microphones on action cameras often produce poor quality sound. That’s where an action camera microphone attachment comes in.
In this article, we’ll discuss why you need an action camera microphone attachments and how it can enhance your overall filming experience.
Improved Sound Quality
An action camera microphone attachment is necessary to elevate the sound quality of your videos. Without one, built-in microphones are limited to capturing general sounds and the likes of wind and distracting conversations. However, with an external microphone attachment, sound is captured more sharply and free of any undesirable noise.
From vlogging to filming documentaries and music videos, action camera microphone attachments come in various shapes and sizes to fulfill your needs. Plus, these attachments are compatible with various cameras, like smartphones and DSLRs, so you can enjoy greater flexibility when shooting.
People depend on action cameras due to their robustness and capability of withstanding adverse circumstances. Similarly, the microphones that are affixed to them are designed to be able to brave all weather conditions, including heavy rainfall and snowfall, to guarantee safety and efficiency when shooting in severe environments.
Ease of Use
One of the many benefits of having an action camera microphone attachment is the convenience in use. The attachments can typically be attached to the mount or directly to the camera body, making them highly accessible. Moreover, some accessories include a windscreen or shock mount that can help to lessen the interference of noise, allowing for the recording of high-grade audio. Additionally, these attachments are usually offered at an affordable cost.
Finally, an action camera microphone attachments is an affordable way to enhance your filming experience. While high-quality external microphones can be expensive, most action camera microphone attachments are relatively inexpensive. Enhancing your audio does not have to require you to break the bank.
Factors to Consider When Choosing an Action Camera Microphone Attachment
With so many varieties available, it can be daunting to know which action camera microphone attachments is the best for your needs. However, the right choice can drastically improve the audio quality of your outdoor recordings, making them all the more remarkable. So, when it comes to action cameras, don’t settle for the inbuilt microphone – choose a microphone attachment for your device to capture amazing audio footage.
Here are some factors to consider when choosing an action camera microphone attachment.
Before purchasing an action camera microphone attachment, make sure it is compatible with your specific camera model. Not all microphones are compatible with all cameras, so it’s important to do your research before making a purchase.
- Type of Microphone
Microphones come in three main varieties – condenser, dynamic and ribbon. Condenser mics are well-suited for capturing sound in an environment with few distractions, while dynamic mics are best utilized outdoors where the environment is noisier. The rarest of the bunch, ribbon mics are normally employed in professional sound-recording contexts.
Microphones can be directional or omnidirectional. Directional microphones pick up sound from a specific direction, making them great for isolating a particular sound or voice. In contrast, omnidirectional microphones are optimized to collect sound from any direction and thus make a superior choice when recording background noise.
- Noise Reduction
When filming in a noisy environment, it’s important to choose a microphone that has noise reduction capabilities. Certain microphones are pre-equipped with noise cancellation technology, which blocks out ambient sounds. On the other hand, other mics require an external device to reach a similar outcome.
If you intend to take your action camera with you on the move, you should select a microphone accessory that is easy to bring along. Weigh the microphone and any related paraphernalia needed for its utilization in terms of size and weight.
Microphone attachments can range in price from under $20 to several hundred dollars. It is understandable to gravitate towards the most economical option; however, one must remember that price usually reflects quality. Generally, a more expensive microphone will have better sound and offer more capabilities than one that is lower in cost.
External Microphone Adapters for GoPro Cameras
Action camera aficionados understand how integral excellent audio is to capturing engaging videos. Unfortunately, most action cameras, including those from GoPro, possess internal microphones that struggle to deliver satisfactory audio recordings in noisy surroundings. Thankfully, there’s a remedy: external microphone adapters.
For enhanced audio recordings with a GoPro camera, external microphone adapters provide a connection to an external microphone. This article examines some of the finest adapters available.
Boasting a long, waterproof cable and durable design, the GoPro Pro 3.5mm Mic Adapter offers users maximum flexibility when connecting a standard 3.5mm microphone to their GoPro camera. No matter the weather, you can now access reliable, quality sound.
The Ulanzi G8-7 is an amazing external microphone adapter for GoPro cameras, conveniently small and light enough to take on the go. Additionally, its detachable cold shoe mount ensures a straightforward connection to either your camera or any other device.
The Movo GM100 is an affordable, yet high-quality external microphone adapter for GoPro cameras. It has a lightweight, portable design, making it an ideal choice for recording outdoors. It also includes a foam windshield to minimize wind noise.
Top 15 Action Camera Microphone Attachments in the Market
- Rode VideoMicro
- Movo VXR10
- Sennheiser MKE 400
- Deity V-Mic D3 Pro
- Rode Wireless Go II
- Shure MV88
- Zoom H1n
- Tascam DR-10L
- Sony ECM-CS3
- Rode VideoMic Pro+
- Saramonic Blink 500 B2
- Movo LV20
- GoPro Pro 3.5mm Mic Adapter
- Rode VideoMic GO
- Audio-Technica ATR3350iS
The Rode VideoMicro is a compact and lightweight microphone that provides high-quality audio. It’s easy to attach to your action camera and has a directional pickup pattern that reduces unwanted background noise.
Here are some features of the Rode VideoMicro microphone:
- Compact size: The VideoMicro is a small, lightweight microphone that is easy to transport and handle.
- Directional pickup pattern: The microphone uses a cardioid polar pattern, which means it mainly captures sound from the front of the mic and reduces background noise.
- Integrated shock mount: The VideoMicro includes an integrated shock mount, which reduces handling noise and vibrations that can affect the quality of the recorded audio.
- Plug-and-play operation: The microphone does not require any batteries or additional power, and simply plugs into your camera’s microphone input.
- Frequency response: Suitable for capturing both dialogue and speech, the microphone offers an extensive frequency response range of 100Hz to 20kHz.
- Windshield included: The VideoMicro comes with a furry windshield, which helps to reduce wind noise when recording outdoors.
- Compatibility: The microphone works with many kinds of cameras, such as DSLRs, mirrorless ones, and those with a TRRS jack for cell phones.
- Price: The VideoMicro is an affordable option for filmmakers and content creators on a budget.
The Movo VXR10 is another compact and lightweight microphone that attaches to your action camera. It has a cardioid pickup pattern that captures sound from the front while reducing noise from the sides and back.
Here are the features of the Movo VXR10 shotgun microphone, presented as bullet points:
- Directional shotgun microphone for enhanced audio capture
- Compatible with smartphones, DSLR cameras, camcorders, and other recording devices
- Supercardioid polar pattern for focused sound pickup and reduced background noise
- Frequency response of 35Hz to 18kHz for capturing a wide range of sounds
- 3.5mm TRS cable for easy connection to recording devices
- Integrated shock mount to reduce handling noise and vibrations
- Foam windscreen included for reducing wind noise during outdoor recordings
- Compact and lightweight design for easy transport and use on-the-go
- Powered by a single AAA battery for up to 100 hours of continuous use
- Low-cut filter switch for reducing low-frequency noise such as traffic or HVAC rumble
- 1-year warranty from Movo.
The Sennheiser MKE 400 is a shotgun microphone that provides excellent audio quality. It’s easy to mount on your action camera and has a compact design that makes it ideal for travel.
Here are the features of the Sennheiser MKE 400:
- Directional microphone: Ideal for recording interviews and vlogs, the Sennheiser MKE 400 is a directional microphone that effectively captures audio from the front while cancelling out sound from other directions.
- Compact design: Compact and lightweight, the MKE 400 is an effortless addition to any camera or piece of equipment, without significantly adding to its mass.
- Battery-powered: With just a single AAA battery, the microphone is able to provide up to 100 hours of use.
- Low-cut filter: The MKE 400 includes a switchable low-cut filter that helps to reduce low-frequency noise, such as wind or traffic, from your recordings.
- Shock mount: The microphone features an integrated shock mount that helps to reduce handling noise, ensuring your recordings are clean and clear.
- Foam windshield: The MKE 400 comes with a foam windshield that helps to reduce wind noise when recording outdoors.
- All-metal construction: Constructed entirely from metal, this microphone is designed to withstand any challenges that come with regular professional use.
- Frequency response: The MKE 400 is able to register a broad selection of frequencies, spanning from 20Hz to 20kHz. From a deep, rumbling bass drum to the high, screeching violin, the microphone has the capability to accurately capture the sound.
- Sensitivity: The microphone has a high sensitivity of -32 dBV/Pa, which means it can pick up even quiet sounds with great clarity.
- Output connector: The 3.5mm stereo mini jack output connector of the MKE 400 allows for seamless integration with an array of cameras and audio recording devices.
The Deity V-Mic D3 Pro is a shotgun microphone that provides superior audio quality. It has a supercardioid pickup pattern that captures sound from the front while reducing noise from the sides and back.
Here are the features of the Deity V-Mic D3 Pro in bullet points:
- Superior off-axis sound performance
- Super-cardioid polar pattern for excellent directional sound pickup
- Low self-noise level of only 14dB
- High sensitivity of -35dB
- Frequency response range of 20Hz to 20kHz
- High-quality aluminum construction for durability
- Digital switching with a high-pass filter and high-frequency boost options
- -10dB, 0dB, and +20dB level adjustments for flexibility in different recording situations
- 3.5mm TRS output jack for use with cameras, recorders, and other devices
- Rycote Lyre shock mount for noise isolation and vibration reduction
- Power saving mode to conserve battery life
- Runs on two AAA batteries for up to 51 hours of continuous use
- Comes with a foam windshield and carrying pouch for protection and convenience.
Boasting superb sound quality, the Rode Wireless Go II is an impressive wireless microphone system composed of a transmitter and receiver which conveniently attach to your action camera and mic.
Here are some features of the Rode Wireless Go II:
- Dual-channel wireless microphone system
- Compact and lightweight design
- Up to 200m range (line-of-sight)
- 3.5mm TRS analog output
- USB-C digital output for recording directly to a computer or smartphone
- Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion batteries (Up to 7 hours of use)
- 3-stage output pad (-0db, -12db, -24db)
- Safety channel records a -20db lower-level backup channel
- Easy-to-read OLED display
- One-touch pairing for quick and easy setup
- Multiple mounting options, including a clip-on mic and a belt-pack transmitter
- Rycote Lyre shock mounting system for improved sound quality
- Compatible with smartphones, cameras, and other recording devices
- Included accessories: USB-A to USB-C cable, storage pouch, and two furry windshields.
The Shure MV88 is a miniaturized, condenser-style microphone which, with its accompanying Lightning connector, enables users to take top-notch audio recordings wherever they go. It provides exceptional sound quality, making it the ideal travel companion for action camera enthusiasts.
The Shure MV88 microphone is built to deliver high-end quality to users of mobile devices such as phones and tablets. Here are its features:
- Compact and portable design
- MFi certified for use with iOS devices
- Customizable microphone positioning with 5 DSP preset modes (Speech, Singing, Flat, Acoustic Instrument, Loud)
- Adjustable stereo width for capturing sounds from a wide or narrow angle
- Built-in headphone output for real-time monitoring
- Included windscreen for reducing unwanted noise from wind or breathing sounds
- Compatible with ShurePlus MOTIV audio and video recording app for iOS devices
- Supports 24-bit/48 kHz audio recording quality for high-quality sound capture
- Plug-and-play functionality, no additional drivers or software required
- Comes with a zippered carrying case for easy transport and storage.
Featuring a handy and convenient design, the Zoom H1n is a portable audio recorder which offers exceptional sound quality. It can be easily carried around and its tripod mount makes it ideal for connecting it to an action camera.
Here are some features of the Zoom H1n portable audio recorder:
- Compact and lightweight design for easy portability
- Built-in stereo microphone for high-quality recordings
- Records in WAV and MP3 formats
- 24-bit/96kHz audio resolution for clear and detailed sound
- Auto-level and low-cut filter functions for optimizing recordings
- Supports external microphones and inputs for expanded recording options
- USB interface for easy file transfer and power supply
- Runs on two AAA batteries for up to 10 hours of continuous operation
- Playback speed control and A-B repeat functions for convenient playback
- Built-in speaker and headphone output for monitoring recordings on the go
- Includes Steinberg WaveLab LE software for audio editing and mastering.
The Tascam DR-10L offers professional sound quality in a conveniently small form factor. The belt clip allows it to be attached to any action camera, allowing it to be transported easily and with little effort.
Here are the features of Tascam DR-10L:
- The Tascam DR-10L is an ideal choice for anyone looking for a small-scale digital audio recorder. Its slim design allows for convenient connection to a lavalier microphone.
- It has a high-quality, omnidirectional microphone built-in, which can be used as a backup recording source or for recording in situations where a lavalier microphone is not suitable.
- The DR-10L has a low-cut filter that helps to reduce low-frequency noise and rumble.
- It features a dual-recording mode that simultaneously records two files at different levels, allowing you to have a backup file in case of unexpected volume spikes or distortion.
- The recorder has a built-in limiter that helps to prevent distortion from sudden loud noises.
- It has a 1/8″ stereo input jack that can be used to connect a lavalier microphone, and a 1/8″ headphone output for monitoring the audio.
- The DR-10L has a backlit display that shows the recording status, battery level, and other important information.
- It is powered by a single AAA battery, which provides up to 10 hours of recording time.
- The recorder can be mounted on a belt or clothing using the included clip, and it also comes with a windscreen to help reduce wind noise.
- It supports WAV and MP3 recording formats, and the files can be transferred to a computer via USB.
The Sony ECM-CS3 is an ideal companion for your action camera as it offers remarkable sound quality in a small, clip-on form factor. It quickly attaches to the headphone jack of your camera and is lightweight enough to take along wherever your adventure takes you.
Here are the features of the Sony ECM-CS3 presented in bullet points:
- Compact and lightweight design
- Can be clipped onto clothing for hands-free use
- Omni-directional microphone for capturing sound from all directions
- Frequency response range of 50Hz – 15kHz for capturing a wide range of sounds
- Sensitivity of -38 dB/Pa for clear and detailed sound reproduction
- Includes an extension cord for added convenience and flexibility in use
- Compatible with a wide range of devices including smartphones, digital voice recorders, and computers
- Plug-and-play operation, no batteries required
- Comes with a windscreen to reduce wind noise during outdoor recordings
- Ideal for use in interviews, lectures, and other recording situations where a discreet and portable microphone is required.
The Rode VideoMic Pro+ is a shotgun microphone that provides excellent audio quality. It attaches to your action camera via the hot shoe and has a compact design that makes it easy to travel with.
Here are some features of the Rode VideoMic Pro+ listed in bullet points:
- High-quality directional shotgun microphone for video recording
- Compatible with DSLR cameras, camcorders, and portable audio recorders
- Rycote Lyre shock mounting system isolates microphone from vibration and handling noise
- Automatically powers on and off when plugged into camera or turned on/off with built-in power switch
- Rechargeable lithium-ion battery provides up to 100 hours of continuous use
- Four selectable polar patterns: cardioid, omni, supercardioid, and bidirectional
- High-pass filter and high-frequency boost for enhanced clarity and detail
- Safety channel records a backup track at -20dB in case the main track clips
- Included foam windshield and furry windjammer for effective wind noise reduction
- 3.5mm TRS and TRRS output cables included for versatile connectivity options
- Onboard digital signal processing for improved audio quality
- OLED display with intuitive menu navigation for easy operation
- Auto-sensing 3.5mm output automatically switches between TRS and TRRS to match the connected device
- Two-stage high-pass filter (flat or 75Hz) to reduce low-frequency noise
- -10dB PAD for recording loud sources without distortion
- User-adjustable gain control for precise recording levels
Featuring outstanding audio fidelity, the Saramonic Blink 500 B2 is an efficient wireless microphone system that comes complete with a transmitter and a receiver, enabling connection to your action camera and microphone.
Here are the features of the Saramonic Blink 500 B2 wireless microphone system:
- Compact and lightweight design
- Dual-channel receiver for capturing audio from two transmitters simultaneously
- 2.4GHz wireless transmission frequency
- Built-in rechargeable batteries in both the transmitter and receiver
- Up to 8 hours of battery life on a single charge
- Easy pairing process with automatic channel scanning
- OLED display screen for monitoring audio levels and battery status
- Real-time audio monitoring with headphone jack on the receiver
- Included clip-on lavalier microphones with omnidirectional pickup pattern
- Compatible with smartphones, cameras, and other recording devices with 3.5mm audio inputs
- 60m (197ft) operating range in open areas
Boasting excellent audio fidelity, the Movo LV20 Lavalier Microphone is conveniently small, allowing for easy portability. Plugging into your action camera’s headphone jack, this mic is ready for use in no time.
The Movo LV20 is a lavalier microphone designed for use with smartphones, DSLR cameras, and other audio recording devices. Here are some of its features:
- Omnidirectional polar pattern: The LV20 captures sound from all directions, making it ideal for interviews, podcasts, and other applications where you need to record multiple speakers or ambient sound.
- 6-meter cable: The LV20 offers a 6-meter long cable, affording users a considerable amount of flexibility during recording.
- 3.5mm TRRS plug: Boasting a 3.5mm TRRS plug, the LV20 ensures compatibility with an expansive variety of gadgets, including smartphones, tablets, laptops, DSLR cameras, and audio recorders.
- Foam windscreen: The LV20 comes with a foam windscreen that helps reduce wind noise and other unwanted sounds.
- Clip-on design: With its clip-on design, the LV20 allows for easy attachment to clothing or other items, granting users a hands-free experience and ensuring the microphone remains in its place as you move about.
- Frequency response: With its 35Hz-18kHz frequency response range, the LV20 is capable of capturing an expansive variety of sound frequencies.
- Sensitivity: The LV20 has a sensitivity of -30dB +/-3dB, which means it can pick up even quiet sounds without needing to be too close to the source.
- Signal-to-noise ratio: Achieving a signal-to-noise ratio of 74dB, the LV20 allows you to record audio with minimized external disturbances.
- Power source: With no requirement for battery changes or charging, the LV20 functions exclusively through the power supplied by the port it’s connected to.
- Compact size: Compact and lightweight, the LV20 is designed for convenient portability. To keep the device safe when not in use, a storage pouch is included.
Equipped with effortless usability, the GoPro Pro 3.5mm Mic Adapter grants your action camera access to a quality microphone, perfect for capturing pristine audio.
Here are the features of the GoPro Pro 3.5mm Mic Adapter:
- Compatible with GoPro cameras that have a USB-C port
- Enables high-quality external microphone input for better audio recording
- Connects to the camera’s USB-C port using a flexible cord for added convenience
- Features a compact and lightweight design for easy portability
- Includes a built-in analog-to-digital converter for improved sound quality
- Offers stereo and mono output options to suit different recording needs
- Has a removable foam windscreen to reduce wind noise during outdoor recordings
- Allows for real-time audio monitoring through the headphone jack
- Comes with a protective storage pouch to keep it safe during transport.
The Rode VideoMic GO is a shotgun microphone that provides good audio quality. It attaches to your action camera via the hot shoe and has a compact design that makes it easy to travel
Here are the features of the Rode VideoMic GO microphone:
- Lightweight and compact design
- Plug and play operation, no batteries required
- Directional super-cardioid polar pattern to capture focused sound
- Integrated Rycote Lyre shock mount to reduce handling noise
- Frequency response range of 100Hz to 16kHz for clear dialogue recording
- 3.5mm mini-jack output for compatibility with DSLR cameras, smartphones, and other recording devices
- Foam windshield included for outdoor recording in windy conditions
- 9V battery option available for extended recording time
- Low self-noise of only 34dB SPL for clean audio recording
- Reinforced ABS construction for durability and longevity
Boasting superior sound quality, the Audio-Technica ATR3350iS lavalier microphone is designed for convenient portability and connects easily to your action camera via the headphone jack.
Here are some features of the Audio-Technica ATR3350iS:
- Omnidirectional pickup pattern: The microphone can pick up sound from all directions, which is great for recording in a variety of situations.
- Compatible with smartphones and other mobile devices: The ATR3350iS comes with a 3.5mm TRRS plug, which makes it easy to use with smartphones, tablets, and other mobile devices.
- Long cable: The microphone has a cable that’s 20 feet long, which provides a lot of flexibility when it comes to placement.
- Low-profile design: The microphone is small and unobtrusive, which makes it easy to use in a variety of situations without being too noticeable.
- Included accessories: The ATR3350iS comes with a number of accessories, including a foam windscreen, a clothing clip, and a carrying pouch, which make it easy to use and transport.
- Good sound quality: The microphone provides clear, crisp sound, which makes it great for recording podcasts, interviews, and other types of content.
- Affordable price: The ATR3350iS is an affordable option for anyone who needs a good quality microphone for their mobile device.
How to Attach and Use an Action Camera Microphone Attachment
If you’re a vlogger, adventurer, or just someone who enjoys capturing memories, you know that excellent audio is essential for creating an engaging video. Although action cameras have significantly advanced in terms of video quality, the integrated microphone isn’t usually up to the mark. An external microphone attached to the action camera will solve this problem. In this article, we’ll walk you through the steps to attach and use an action camera microphone.
Choose the Right Microphone Attachment
Making a decision on the appropriate microphone accessory for your action camera should be your first priority. With multiple selections accessible, there’s something to match every budget and video content ambition. Directional microphones, specifically, are more apt for capturing crystal clear audio when recording in a loud atmosphere.
Connect the Microphone to the Attachment
After procuring the necessary microphone attachment, the next step is to make a connection. The attachment typically comes equipped with a 3.5mm jack, suitable for most microphones. Should the mic have an incompatible connector, then an adapter is necessary to link the two.
Attach the Microphone to the Camera
Having successfully linked your microphone to the adapter, the next step is to mount it onto your camera. The approach to do this may vary, depending on the kind of adapter that you are using; it may require clipping onto the camera, or mounting using a screw. To prevent any slips or falls, make sure that the adapter is fastened securely to the camera.
Adjust the Microphone Settings
After connecting the microphone to the camera, adjust its settings to obtain the highest quality audio. The action camera’s menu typically has the gain, volume, and other customization options available to tweak.
Test the Audio
Before beginning to record, testing the audio beforehand is paramount in order to make sure the result is as desired. Take a short clip, then listen back to see if the quality of the sound is satisfactory. If not, it might be necessary to tweak the microphone settings or switch to a different accessory.
When you have ensured your audio quality is satisfactory, it is time to commence the recording. Ensure that your microphone is securely affixed to your camera, and is orientated towards the origin of the audio. Should you be capturing in a noisy atmosphere, locate a secluded place to diminish ambient noise.
Tips for Recording High-Quality Audio with Your Action Camera and Microphone Attachment
In recent years, the prevalence of action cameras has surged due to their many advantages. They are small, portable, and can capture stunning footage in even the most challenging environments. However, recording high-quality audio can be a challenge when using an action camera. In this article, we’ll provide some tips for recording high-quality audio with your action camera and microphone attachment.
Choose the right microphone attachment
To capture optimal sound when filming with an action camera, a variety of microphone attachments can be utilized. Shotgun mics, lapel mics, and omnidirectional mics are just a few of the choices. Select the type that best fits your specific audio needs as each has its own unique benefits and drawbacks.
Shotgun microphones are directional and pick up sound from a specific direction. They are great for capturing audio from a specific source, such as an interviewee or a musical performance.
Lapel microphones are small, clip-on microphones that can be attached to clothing. They are great for capturing audio in noisy environments, such as a crowded street or a busy restaurant.
Omnidirectional microphones capture sound from all directions, making them ideal for capturing ambient sound and background noise.
Use a windscreen
Recordings taken with an action camera can suffer from significant wind noise if they’re captured in windy conditions. Using a windscreen is an effective way to minimize this noise and thereby increase the audio quality.
A windscreen is a foam cover that fits over your microphone and helps reduce wind noise by diffusing the wind before it reaches the microphone. Many microphone attachments come with a windscreen, but if yours doesn’t, you can purchase one separately.
Position your microphone correctly
Locating your microphone close to the sound source is vital in obtaining high-grade audio. It is essential to position your microphone with precision to receive optimum results.
Position the microphone close to the interviewee’s lips while capturing the conversation. If you’re recording a musical performance, place the microphone near the instrument or amplifier.
Monitor your audio levels
It is imperative to keep an eye on your sound levels in order to obtain excellent audio recordings. The majority of action cameras have an in-built sound level gauge which immediately presents the sound levels.
Monitor the audio volume closely and calibrate the microphone and camera appropriately. If the audio is too soft, crank up the microphone sensitivity or place it nearer to the sound source. Conversely, if the sound is too loud, turn down the microphone’s gain or move it farther away.
Use an external audio recorder
For excellent sound quality while recording with your action camera, an external audio recorder is a great option. This external device will give you a better audio experience than relying solely on the action camera’s internal microphone.
You can use an external audio recorder with your action camera to record audio of exceptional quality. Simply connect the microphone to the recorder and then plug the recorder into your action camera to begin.
In summation, an audio attachment for your action camera can improve the audio of your footage significantly. The convenience and affordability of the attachment makes it a great choice for those who are seeking to amplify their video quality. By diminishing wind and environmental noise, it records clear, vibrant audio that draws your viewers closer to the scene. Ultimately, if you are eager to increase the level of your action videos, buying a microphone attachment is a savvy decision.
Frequently Asked Questions about Action Camera Microphone Attachments
What is an action camera microphone attachment?
An action camera microphone attachment is a device that improves the audio recordings from an action camera. This typically includes a microphone which can be affixed near the camera, along with a cable linking the microphone to the camera’s audio input.
Why do I need an action camera microphone attachment?
Action cameras are an invaluable tool for recording in extreme conditions; however, the onboard microphone often fails to provide satisfactory audio, due to its proximity to wind and background noise. Utilizing an action camera microphone attachment, one can improve audio quality by distancing the sound source, reducing any ambient noise, and ultimately enhancing the clarity of the audio.
What types of microphones are compatible with action camera microphone attachments?
To optimize sound quality, it is essential to select a microphone compatible with the action camera’s audio input and durable enough to withstand the conditions of the environment where recording is taking place. Such microphones include condenser, dynamic, and lavalier varieties.
Can I use a wireless microphone with an action camera microphone attachment?
Utilizing a wireless microphone with an action camera is doable by employing a wireless transmitter which is compatible with the microphone and a receiver to attach to the camera’s audio input.
How do I attach an action camera microphone attachment to my camera?
The attachment process will vary depending on the type of microphone and camera you have. To ensure optimal sound quality, it is necessary to affix the microphone close to the camera and plug the cable into the camera’s sound input. Some attachments may require additional hardware, such as a hot shoe mount or a clip.
Can I use an action camera microphone attachment underwater?
Some action camera microphone attachments are designed for use underwater, but you’ll need to check the manufacturer’s specifications to ensure compatibility. Additionally, you may need a waterproof case or housing for your camera and microphone to protect them from water damage.
How much do action camera microphone attachments cost?
Action camera microphone attachments come with varying price points. From the simple lavalier microphones which can cost less than twenty dollars, to the expensive, state-of-the-art wireless systems that are in the several hundreds, the cost will depend on the quality, type and features included.
What should I look for when choosing an action camera microphone attachment?
In order to select the right action camera microphone, consider its type, quality, compatibility with your camera, as well as any special features or accessories that may come with it. It may be beneficial to look through reviews from customers who have used the microphone in a variety of scenarios.